For examples here we will base this on the set of dividers are A4 portrait with the tabs extending from the divider down the right hand long side. Many sizes and both portrait and landscape orientations are available.

What is a flight set?
The “flight” is the number of tabs that will fit down the full height of the sheet. If 5 tabs would fit evenly and you can still read all 5 tabs with no gaps between them, that is a “5 flight” set. A flight is also determined by how many words fit on a tab. If there are several words needed for your tabs and the longest group of words are say “International Conference” then you would make the tabs big enough to fit this word (being the longest) and the rest of the tabs would be the same size no matter what the other words would read.

What is “to view”?
The term “to view” means the same as “1 flight set”.

How big will my tabs be?
It is usual to make a divider the size of the sheets it will be separating plus the extension of the tab. In our example an A4 sheet is 210 mm wide and 297mm high. Our tabs extend 13mm from the long edge on the right. The overall size of the divider will therefore be 223mm wide and 297 mm high. A 12.5mm strip of the divider above and below the tab is removed during manufacture leaving an A4 sheet with a tab protruding to the right. The height of each tab will be 297 mm less a 5mm margin top and bottom divided by the number of tabs in the flight.

What is the “Mylar”, “DuraTab” or “Lamination” on the tab extension?
The laminated coating applied to the tab is sometimes referred to as “mylar”, “duraTab” or “lamination”. Either term is fine. The tab extension takes a lot of abuse when in use in a binder or catalogue and the reinforcing helps to reduce wear and maintain the appearance.

What colours are available for the mylar or duratab on the tab extension?
AllTab can offer 17 standard colours: See our colour chart here.

Can the tabs be printed in any colour ink?
YES! We can print the tab extension and any body copy required in any colour.

What is “body copy”?
Body copy is the printing that is on the main part of the divider (the body) as opposed to the tab extension. Some customers use the “body copy” to contain a form for file entry or a chapter listing / title for presentation binders. We can print the body with text and/or a photo quality graphic, even a different graphic on each divider in a set! Your company logos can also be placed on each tab sheet if you require it.

What does “DuraTab / Mylar” mean”?
Mylar is a Dupont trade name for a tough, practically untearable polyester film which is heat sealed over tabs to provide protection and colour. Mylar strips can also be sealed to the binding edge of sheets to prevent “tear out” from hole punching ring binders. DuraTab is the same thing.

What does “reinforced spine edge” mean?
The binding edge is the edge of the divider where the holes are punched – in our example the left hand long edge. Before we punch the divider, we generally apply a mylar coating to the back side of the sheet where it is to be punched to reinforce it to prevent tear out of the holes and therefore make it last longer with heavy use.

What does “tab position” mean?
The placement of each tab in a flight is called it’s position. In our example, the 2nd position would be the 2nd tab from the top.

What does “punched 6 cm” mean?
Dividers are usually punched with either 2, 3 or 4 holes to fit in a binder. The standard spacing for these holes is 60 mm or 6cm.The holes are centered on the sheet at an equal distance from the top and bottom of the sheet.